Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. 11-05-2011  #11

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I have also noticed that Dubstep is becoming more popular. I still don't play it in my clubs but I have produced my own bootlegs for my radio mix-shows. I also agree with VibeOne. As professional DJs, our job is to entertain, not educate. But I also disagree with the notion that just because Dubstep will get more mainstream (generally accepted), that it will get worse. There are heaps of underground dubstep that is also just as awful. So just because something is underground doesn't mean it's great, and just because it's mainstream doesn't mean it's terrible. That is also a very pretentious point of view. I think this is an opportunity for the genre to get some light and for us DJs and producers to expand our repertoire. I know dubstep is not as easy and straight forward to mix as 4x4 house, but with todays' production tools it's easy to make the intros and outros for them.

2. 11-05-2011  #12

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    DJ Oslo is my new favourite member.

3. 18-05-2011  #13

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm also a dubstep producer. For those mistaking dubstep for a bunch of dirty robot noises over a half-timed breakbeat and that only, here are a few examples of the ORIGINAL style.

And a new one from Skream:

It's inevitable that dubstep will eventually go mainstream. But it doesn't matter because the underground will always be alive and well.
    And raves like these will continue regardless!

:)

4. 18-05-2011  #14

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Due to Dubstep's increasing popularity, I think it's inevitable that there will be a lot of poorly made tracks overwhelming those made by those who have produced it well for a long time. I've already heard a lot of crappy Dubstep tracks made by wannabe producers, when not too long ago there was hardly any Dubstep that I didn't like.

In fact, I think my favorites were like some of the ones posted above, from when it was brand new and completely unknown. However, it remains to be seen where the genre will be 5, 10, even 15 years from now.

5. 20-05-2011  #15

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Due to Dubstep's increasing popularity, I think it's inevitable that there will be a lot of poorly made tracks overwhelming those made by those who have produced it well for a long time. I've already heard a lot of crappy Dubstep tracks made by wannabe producers, when not too long ago there was hardly any Dubstep that I didn't like.
    This is nothing new under the sun. You can apply the same principle to DJing, Producing music, mashups, etc. The increasing popularity is going to prompt and encourage many with little knowledge and experience to join the fray and produce something that doesn't sound good or correct. But in general, I like that Dubstep is getting more popular. Professionally, it will be fun to work with this genre and introduce it into my sets.

6. 27-05-2011  #16

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    but surely the idea of making music is for people to hear it right, so why get upset about more people hearing it? yeah dubstep may end up on a commercial track but is it really bringing anyone's life to an end honestly? but on the bright side we've started to see producers experiment by mixing dubstep with other alternative genres. for example this new track by Korn has been co produced by skrillex and i think its pretty awesome. who would have thought dubstep and nu metal would work so well together?
    Get all my remixes on mp3 Hidden Content

7. 13-06-2011  #17

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ive never understood dubstep and don't think I ever will. It just sounds like 'noise'. I recognize artists and what they produce, and have respect for them. How do you listen to dubstep!? It's not chilled out, and everyone looks like idiots in clubs haha!

8. Goodfella
    02-06-2012  #18
    DJ Oslo and VibeOne might be right , that mainstream does not always mean crappy and underground always means good, but in a general way, I have to disagree on that one. To me, in a general way, mainstream does mean crappy, and not only in dubstep. Look at what rap music has become, or even bands like Muse or Coldplay.
    I listened to a lot of dubstep during 2006-2010, I mean, a lot, and I guarantee I have seen the scene getting poorer and poorer. Producers used to experiment a lot in their songs, it was not only a matter of "Wobble" shit and "drops". Now to me, dubstep seems sooooo generic. It's like 90% of the songs are : some female vocals sounding like club vocals, one or two drops, and a succession of generic wobble basses. I don't like this orientation of dubstep. So i basically quit listening to dubstep because I don't recognize myself in it anymore. I only listen to the chill/ambiant dubstep (Burial, etc ..) these days, and the old dubstep that I liked. Another sign of dubstep really going mainstrem (for the worse) is that it seems that now, everything crappy electro-mainstream artist is trying to incorporate dubstep breaks into their songs.

Of course, there are exceptions, if you look hard enough, you will find some new good dubstep sh*t.
    Again, it's only my opinion but yeah, mainstream = crap.

9. 03-06-2012  #19

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i prefer it to stay underground. when it hits mainstream its so watered down and stretched that its not what it is anymore. the definition and name has changed.

10. 20-06-2012  #20

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Love the faster dub stuff - Not so the lower BPM. Awesome style of sound though and fast becoming more popular then many other genres me thinks...