Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCall View Post
hahaha, I say bring on the beast xD Actually is kinda exciting that you are upgrading your PC.
Mileage may vary on this but I have had great success under-clocking my GPU to manage heat. ...
Not that I absolutely need to since I'm running a GTX 1070, but I've always got MSI Afterburner running.

For example, one of the previous models had me at 80-85C,
so I under-clocked from 1700MHz to 1200MHz Core and from 4,000 to 3,500MHz memory.
Presto, cool and comfy 68-72C.

I do the same when I'm gaming. I can still run Witcher 3 on my laptop at 60FPS under-clocked and hold a steady 70C, rather than the 85C it would otherwise run the game at.
My current PC is pretty tough and was definitely getting the job done, as I managed to keep it under 98F CPU and my GPU under 86F during some intense training sessions. The issue is it's 5 years old and my MB is capped on the amount of RAM I can install (32GB). I also can't upgrade my CPU or GPU to what I really need. I'm pretty sure if I kept training on it, the lifespan was going to decrease a lot quicker than if I had hardware optimized for deep learning.

My new set up will have 64GB's of RAM (expandable to 128GB), a RTX 2080Ti with 11GB's of V-RAM, and a far stronger processor. Definitely going to be spitting out more models in a shorter time frame, and save time determining the quality of my datasets. It takes a least 15-20 epoch runs to know if my dataset is effective. My new PC will get there in maybe 3 or 4 hours with a dataset consisting of 320 pairs. With my current PC using my GTX 1060 GPU, it takes a little over 24 hours to get to 15-20 epochs with a 320 pair dataset...

I'd rather use my current PC to code the GUI, analyze models, and run test conversions, which take 15 seconds per track. All while my new one trains.

I'm pretty excited about this too!!