1. 06-06-2012  #1

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

SoundCloud Copyright Infringement

I got my first infringement today.. needless to say I am now uploading test files to a test account before posting them.

Has anyone ever had any success fighting one of these? I add disclaimers to all of my songs but the way SC worded the "dispute form" it made it seem very unlikely that I would win. They also tried to scare me off with talk of "further legal account and account suspension/termination".

Anyone with experience on this?

2. 08-06-2012  #2

Stream Manager

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Can't say I have mate, what was it for? As long as you didn't claim copyright of the tracks you used in your mash ups or naffed off with somebody else's mash there shouldn't really be much of a problem, they're probably just being picky and trying to make an example in which case you will have to release Chuck Norris on them :)
    Last edited by Rich; 08-06-2012 at 14:48.
    HIGH FIVE FOR SEXY MUSIC TIME!!! :D

Hidden Content - New/Old Mashups
    Hidden Content - Older Mashups
    Hidden Content - Mixes/Mix Sets
    ^^^ Check them out! ;) ^^^

3. 08-06-2012  #3

...envied by many

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    On my last 3 mashups the automatic copyright detection has flagged em. I havnt ever continued the claim because i think its pointless. The DMCA have their dirty little fingers in the majority of media companies these days and im losing faith in most of the reliable services. Now im uploading to ZippyShare because it also uses a Waveform player which ive grown to really like. Unfortunately, even with a Zippyshare account, the file will be removed if its inactive for 30 days.

Ive been looking round for Waveform players which we can install here on LR and then i will allow an uploading service so we can avoid all the DMCA BS... i wont stand for it, they have no right.

Manchester UK 2005-2007 Magaluf ES 2006 - 2007 ​Blackpool UK 2009 Manchester UK 2010-2017

4. 09-06-2012  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I sent them a "strongly worded and very legal sounding" response rambling on about how I'm a paying member, citing the 1976 Copyright Act and it's definition of "fair use" and how my mashup fits the description, saying how I did not reproduce or dilute the value of the original nor ever claim ownership... and they basically told me to fuck off.

It was for Nicki's new starship instrumental (99% sure- they didn't tell me why my claim was denied).

5. 09-06-2012  #5

Stream Manager

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, you could always question the way they treat their customers and demand more respect and a better service. That tends to work at alton towers, if a customer complains and seems to be very disgruntled that they haven't won a prize then there is a high chance they will get one.
    Although there is still the other option of releasing Chuck Norris on them :D
    HIGH FIVE FOR SEXY MUSIC TIME!!! :D

Hidden Content - New/Old Mashups
    Hidden Content - Older Mashups
    Hidden Content - Mixes/Mix Sets
    ^^^ Check them out! ;) ^^^

6. 10-06-2012  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    You sound well within your rights. I for one would atleast like to know what the actual issue is that SC has problems with, so that, in the least I will ensure that I am aware of it and it doesn't happen again. That much atleast is your right mate! And yea there is always Chuck! He will never fail !:)

7. 10-06-2012  #7

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the way I've been able to circumvent most blocked tracks is to edit the intro. loop it and/or fade it in. that's what I did to the instrumental of "Burn It Down", heh too bad it reached 100 downloads in a couple weeks and noone can download it now.

nonetheless, SC are dicks, they just don't give a damn regardless if you're a paying or free member. as long as they take your money, all is right in the world and fuck everyone else, including the customers. reminds me of Blizzard, a subsidiary of Activision.
    Last edited by Donoghue; 10-06-2012 at 08:13.

8. 10-06-2012  #8

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    i got a email seize and desist

9. 12-06-2012  #9

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    lol don! I haven't had any issues,just logged in for the first time in ages and all is well.

Out there and back

10. 13-06-2012  #10

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well it's true, they're moneygrubbing whores too. have you seen Bobby Kotick with the dollar-colored glasses and the Black Soulstone sticking out of his ass?