1. 21-01-2012  #1

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Question Need advice on studio monitor speakers

Hey guys. Need help on Studio monitors. I am mainly looking at the following needs:

- mainly produce house music
    - room size is not big. 15ft x 13ft
    - I will host a few get togethers at home (pvt parties)
    - Cost effective.

I am looking for around 200£. Mainly in the UK. Brand preference is NIL. Although Behringer and Alesis seems to be the most preferred. What I need is something which I am going to use fairly well but dont want something which is going to be not as useful cos of the size and that I cannot maximize the sound. Yes I will hook up a mixer to the set up as well.

Do let me know what u guys think.

cheers!!

2. 21-01-2012  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have the M-Audio bx8a's. They are very good for the price. I would really try to get something larger than the 5" ones that are so popular.

If your desk is against the wall, make sure you have a pad behind the monitors so the sound isn't reflected and deceives you with added bass.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

3. 21-01-2012  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Don't bother with behringer.
    Alesis m1 actives are really great for first timers, they are cheap and also are "faily" accurate.
    Ive done some great vocal recordings on them, the next best thing would be the tannoy reveal 601's, i heard them in andertons couple of weeks ago and they are superb sounding speakers for the dosh.
    I myself am using yamaha hsm80's, for the price (£225 per speaker) they are superbly detailed in the midrange and translate very well to other systems.
    I've been a fan of KRK Rokit 8s also, they handle very high spl's, especially useful for bass heavy music, but these are quite pricey, Hope this helps.

4. 21-01-2012  #4

Restricted

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I love my Yamahas with the white cones. Can't remember the model no tho now, sorry.

5. 21-01-2012  #5

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AudioAssembly View Post
    I love my Yamahas with the white cones. Can't remember the model no tho now, sorry.
    Yeh ice I agree with AA and Jake

I use yamaha hs 80 ms and they are brilliant for all dance music IMO.I also have the bass freqs cut and use the matching hs10w sub.

Mine are the 8 inch versions,but they do a five inch as well.(thinking of your budget)

Have a look to see if you can find any reviews on em and maybe even if you could find a shop to get a listen to some tracks on a pair.Mine were more expensive than £225 but Ive had them since they were not long out.Sub was costly as well.

I dont wanna post a link to another external site as I dunno the LR law on that 1 or Id give u the review!! I recall a very well respected uk magazine saying that the yamahas were by far the best in their price range for dance music styles.

I have heard krks are supposed to be good too but Ive never used em,and I had behringers in the past and would personally avoid those!

Hope thats of some help

:)

ps i agree with bbm,try and get 8's if you can, and padding will also help.i also dont set mine directly on my desk.Either stands or something to set them on to keep em slightly above desk level and avoid the sound of your desk adding to your listening experience! (works 4 me lol)
    Last edited by Gaz; 22-01-2012 at 11:51.

Out there and back

6. 21-01-2012  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yea all of the above. IMO M-Audio bx8a's and KRK Rokit 8s are the best for the low price range.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

7. 22-01-2012  #7

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    thanks all. So the Yamaha's are out for me at the moment. I like the krk's and the Alesis. The m-audio's have too many complaints on quality. I was looking at the Tanoy's and found these:

http://www.soundexposure.com/store/T...L601PPAIR.html

Can someone tell me about these.. Else I am leaning towards the KRK's.

cheers for your help!!

8. 22-01-2012  #8

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    They are passive monitors Ice ...unless Im mistaken.That would mean you need an amp to drive them to a reasonable volume level.

IMO you would be looking for active monitors.

Is credit not an option for you mate or could you not wait another month or two and go with a slightly bigger budget?? I would think it would take you to do that even to get a decent pair of krks.I honestly think you'd be better doing that than spending your hard earned cash on something you could end up disappointed with in the not to distant future.Just my take on it mate! You dont have to listen to me!!!

MOST PPL JUST IGNORE ME OR TELL ME TO STFU!!!

:p

Out there and back

9. 22-01-2012  #9

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Your right about the Tanoy's sorry!

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CGcQ8wIwAQ

Thats the KRK Rockits 8 inch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALESIS-M1-...ht_1895wt_1392

thats the Alesis MK series. Which is within my budget. If I have the wrong links lemme know.

10. 22-01-2012  #10

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    No need 2 apologise!!!

Yes those links are right as well! Im not really in a position to advise which ice as I personally have never used or even heard either.

The krks get some very good reviews but then again so do the alesis ones.Its hard to tell from these as you don't know what musical genres the reviewers are producing.

Anyone else on the forum using either of these monitors??? Would be nice if Ice could get some feedback!!!

LR is a forum too not just a resource!!!

:(

If there are any music tech shops near you it really would be worth going just so you could hear both before you make your choice.

Out there and back