1. 17-06-2020  #1

Executive Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to "train" it ourselves using the stems and multitracks here on LR?
    Yes. you can. You can read about it here https://github.com/facebookresearch/demucs
    You will just have to replace the MusDB dataset with your own pairs of stems.

2. 17-06-2020  #2

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djtayz View Post
    Yes. you can. You can read about it here https://github.com/facebookresearch/demucs
    You will just have to replace the MusDB dataset with your own pairs of stems.
    Interesting, will have to take a further look.

Just tried chucking Harvester of Sorrow off of Metallica's "And Justice for All" album through it to see if I could extract the bass from it...unsuccessfully. I knew it was probably too much to ask, but they really REALLY buried the bass on that album. You get little blips here and there of it coming through which is amazing in itself to be able to pick that out of obscurity, but nothing concrete enough to hear the full bassline sadly.

3. 17-06-2020  #3

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Further to my previous post though, the other stems off of the run through of Harvester actually sound pretty decent, some slight leakage between the tracks occasionally, but this is amazing being able to do this to fully mixed tracks with no previously available stems!

4. 17-06-2020  #4

Executive Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearce View Post
    Further to my previous post though, the other stems off of the run through of Harvester actually sound pretty decent, some slight leakage between the tracks occasionally, but this is amazing being able to do this to fully mixed tracks with no previously available stems!
    You can try replacing "demucs_extra" with "tasnet_extra" on the fifth step. That model should work slightly better for metal tracks.