Hello all,

I realize this is an older topic, but I figured I'd offer my 2 cents. Hope that's ok. So mashing up and being on key. I think this is way too overlooked for a lot of DJs, producers, remixers ,etc.. A vocal being out of key with the instrumentation is the difference between someone saying "oh this must be a DJ mix" vs "Oh, wow did Daft Punk really get together with Boston to remix their track?" In my past experience alot of people don't even realize their listening to a mashup when everything seems to "fit" and be on key. After they think about it for a second they start to realize, but when the track has a vocal that is a half step higher than the root note of the instrumental they start to say "oh, that just doesn't sound right" (esp those who are not music majors or in possession of perfect pitch.)

With tools like AutoTune, Melodyne and even the pitch shifter within FL Studio vocal retuning is in reach of even the beginning producer.

Now, if you don't have a perfect studio acapella on hand this can make things trickier, but even so alot of times tricks can be played with repitching the track to get root notes and chords to work out.

Sadly, my remixing time has been curtailed recently to record live instruments so I can only offer an older mashup showing use of vocal retuning...

So I first have to make the following disclaimer: By no means am I knocking the original mashup (or artist) as without the original I might not have come up with the idea (I loved the original idea.) When I heard the original I thought to myself "That's a damn good idea and in my opinion is 90% there. If those vocals were just in tune it would be perfect." So I went to work AutoTuning the vocals to where I thought they should be and I want to again say GREAT IDEA to the original artist.

The original idea:
http://www.crooklynclan.net/preview.php?id=18410

The idea with correct pitch and some silly synth strings at the beginning:
http://soundcloud.com/djgiantg/hey-a...giant-gs-refix

G