1. 30-07-2010  #1

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guitar Recording - Direct Input or Mic the Amp?

I don't know. I'm stuck as to which is a better option. Right now I'm just using Guitar Rig 4 on the DI signal, but is it the best option?
    [CENTER][B]‎"First name greatest- Last name everr. It's so cold out, I gotta wear my christmas sweater!"[/B][/CENTER]

2. 05-10-2010  #2

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Depends on what you want. Mic'ing up amps is good for a couple of main reasons:

- If you are recording for an artist (guitarist) then the likelihood is that they already have a sound they've refined on their own amp that they like. Trying to find that same sound through a VST/software can take a very long time, and you still won't get the same sound (not necessarily worse, though) than through an amp.
    - It sounds more authentic than a plug-in, which to me sounds more artificial. You can't beat the real sound of a good guitar amp, in my opinion.

If you do record a guitar via a mic'd up amp then make sure you have a good enough mic. I frown on these top end microphones like tube condensers, as you can achieve exactly the same sound with a mid range microphone and some very basic EQ'ing. I'd recommend something like the Blue Bluebird microphone.

But yeah, if you're just doing it for your own purposes then a DI box and some good software will give you more flexibility of sound. You might want to look into something like Izotope Trash, which is a really good amp simulator.

3. 16-03-2011  #3

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyStuff View Post
    Depends on what you want......
    bingo.

an endless supply of reasons to do either, but ultimately, whatever works best for the track is whats best, with the caveat that that may even change from one listen to the next. there is really no best --- trent reznor's stuff couldnt be any further from textbook methods, but its best for his stuff.

what i've done on occasion is run a tuner 1st inline, something that can split the signal between amp & direct setup, and tracked both mic'd and direct. leaves options later on.

4. 20-03-2011  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by univoxxer View Post
    what i've done on occasion is run a tuner 1st inline, something that can split the signal between amp & direct setup, and tracked both mic'd and direct. leaves options later on.
    This is the best course of action, as you can have the best of both worlds. Also Mark, what kind of music are you working on? If it requires heavy distortion, I'd say Guitar Rig is a big no-no in my opinion.

5. 09-06-2011  #5

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers) did both on the Blood sugar sex magix record. He wanted that particular distortion of the mixing board with no cabinet emulator.