Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Bootlegs/Mashup Help

I'm trying to create a Bootleg/Mashup.
    I have an instrumental and I want to use a different vocal from a completely different track.
    However... I'm finding it difficult to get the Key of the Acapella to match the key of the instrumental. I'm using Cubase and was wondering if there is any better software to make it easier for me to do this.
    Am I best changing the key of the instrumental to match the acapella, or changing the key of the acapella to match the key of the instrumental?

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. 26-07-2012  #2

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm no expert in Bootlegs or Mash ups, but I would say change the acapella to match the key of the instrumental.

Okay so, Semitones are measured in Cents, every 100 Cents is one Semitone & 1200 Cents is one Octave.

For example: If your instrumental is in the key of G Major and your acapella is in the key of C Major you would need to pitch up the vocal by 700 Cents & then the acapella would be in key with the instrumental.
    Or, pitch down the vocal by 500 Cents & then the acapella would be in key with the instrumental.

Why 700 Cents? Because there are 7 semitones (ascending) between C and G.
    Why 500 Cents? Because there are 5 semitones (descending) between C and G.

But, if your instrumental is in the key of G Major & your acapella was in the key of C Major you wouldn't necessarily need to change the pitch, because these keys work well together harmonically.

If you need any more info, just ask :)
    Also, if I've made a mistake, please correct.
    If any of my links are dead, just PM me requesting to re-up.

3. 05-08-2012  #3

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1. Try to use acapellas and instrumentals that are "close" to each other (in key). I usually pitch the acapella, but you have to listen: use your ear as a judge. Of course the best way to go to find stuff in the same key. That works best, as I experienced. Hope it helps.

4. 28-08-2012  #4

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    With mashups, its good to use Fl studio. There is a plugin called newtone, this enables you to change the key of an acapella without compromising the pitch (making it sound chipmunkish/butch). All you have to do is move the acapella up and down the keyboard octave untill you find where it sounds right. Only downside is that it can make the vocals sound a bit autotuned but you can fiddle with the variation to suit.
    Get all my remixes on mp3 Hidden Content

5. 29-08-2012  #5

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Very helpful info here lads......

one other thing being a cubase user,I would suggest you try the audio process for adjusting the pitch.....

select your audio file (the acapella) goto audio at the drop down menu's along the top and then process,then choose pitch shift.

a tab will open up with a small keyboard,your piece of audio will start as middle c on that keyboard

then follow AAJH's guide to either bring your acapella up by the right amount,or down..... (move the note on the keyboard by the correct number of semitones)

there is even a preview button to let you hear the outcome before you process the file

:)
    Last edited by Gaz; 29-08-2012 at 00:07. Reason: the usual typing malfunction

Out there and back

6. 09-10-2012  #6

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAJH View Post
    I'm no expert in Bootlegs or Mash ups, but I would say change the acapella to match the key of the instrumental.

Okay so, Semitones are measured in Cents, every 100 Cents is one Semitone & 1200 Cents is one Octave.

For example: If your instrumental is in the key of G Major and your acapella is in the key of C Major you would need to pitch up the vocal by 700 Cents & then the acapella would be in key with the instrumental.
    Or, pitch down the vocal by 500 Cents & then the acapella would be in key with the instrumental.

Why 700 Cents? Because there are 7 semitones (ascending) between C and G.
    Why 500 Cents? Because there are 5 semitones (descending) between C and G.

But, if your instrumental is in the key of G Major & your acapella was in the key of C Major you wouldn't necessarily need to change the pitch, because these keys work well together harmonically.

If you need any more info, just ask :)
    Also, if I've made a mistake, please correct.
    Pretty friggin' spot on advice !

In terms on mashups, never pitch the instrumental - this forms the listners base, and altering it will cause the listener to lose that connection. Always pitch the acapella, but never over pitch it - as a personal rule, I never go over three semi tones, but even that can ruin a good track.
    FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK: Hidden Content
    FOLLOW ME ON YOUTUBE: Hidden Content
    DOWNLOAD MY MASHUPs: Hidden Content