You have already rated this thread
  1. 19-06-2012  #1

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Work in Progress - Seeking Feedback for my first mix!

Hey all,

Right now I'm trying to make a mashup set, actually my first ever. Anyhow, I was hoping you guys could give me some feedback! Though I appreciate all kinds of advice, I mostly want to hear how people feel about the transition between tracks/tones, if it doesn't feel 'consistent' enough, if there's any mood shifts that feel unnatural, etc. Also general suggestions on where to go next would be nice as well. Thanks muchly!

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/you-again/mixtape-1-work-in-progress-1[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. 19-06-2012  #2

...envied by many

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    THOUGHTS IN MOTION

vocals sound a little cut and fast at first.
    vocals also sound too low in comparison with the tones, maybe some dubbing on the instrumental to accomodate vocals
    Hmmm interesting retro 'sega' theme
    vocals slipping out of sync around 1.15
    1.45 nice transition...
    fergie track works better with this instrumental
    basement jaxx... im a big fan, not too sure if it sounds a little out of place/slow and repeatative, maybe some effects or cutting
    3.07 excellent transition! again vocals sound a little low on beastie boys
    3.58 transition, VERY clever and creative!!

Well... they were my thoughts while i was listening to your track. As many here will tell ya, mashups are kinda my niche, i love the idea and playlist.. it works really well. You've put some creative work put into this and it shines, i would look into my notes though and maybe listen back and see if you agree.

Dont wanna plug my own stuff but here's something similar i made live on set many years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTS7DfzPdW8, i like your style. Maybe we could work on sommat together sometime?
    Last edited by Thr33; 19-06-2012 at 18:29.

Manchester UK 2005-2007 Magaluf ES 2006 - 2007 ​Blackpool UK 2009 Manchester UK 2010-2017

3. 19-06-2012  #3

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey, thank you very much!! I always did have a bit of internal conflict when it came to the levels of the vocals vs. the instrumentals, so I'll definitely take another look at that, probably EQ it or something :)

And I'll also definitely make double check the synch on some of those vocals. I had a feeling Jay-Z was getting a little messed up, haha. I'll spice up the Basement Jaxx some, too.

Again, thank you lots! Haha, I'm glad you like it so far :)

4. 04-03-2015  #4

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I dunno if it's SC compression or if the acapellas are like that, but if the acapellas are low quality (missing some high-end), you could try a bit of exciting. Same could go with your instros.