1. 30-04-2012  #1

Administrator

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

I Need Help Purchasing A New HD And RAM

What's Up Guys, It's That Time of The Year I Fix Up My Studio Comp... I'm Looking To Get A New Internal HD, And 8GB Of Ram...

Money Isn't An Object, But I'd Like To Get The Cheapest And Best Of Both...

I've Been Searching On "NewEgg.com" For Stuff, Cause I Heard They Have Decent Stuff For The Lowest Price, But If Anyone Can Help Me Go Cheaper, I'd Appreciate It... LoL...

Here's A Link For The HD Stuff (I'm Looking For 2TB Or 3TB, And I'm Trying To Stay Under $200.00): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D&PageSize=100

Here's A Link For The RAM Stuff (I Need 4x2GB, And I'm Trying To Stay Under $100.00): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D&PageSize=100

Thanks For Any Help On This Matter...

-ADDiCT
    Last edited by Chris; 30-04-2012 at 02:38.

2. 30-04-2012  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Do you have windows 64 bit already??
    If not the comp will only 4GB.
    New egg is the best. They have daily deals and shell shock deals where you can get stuffon the cheap. What kind of memory do you need?? Pc5200, 6400 etc?

3. 30-04-2012  #3

Administrator

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Yes, I Have Vista 64 Bit With 4GB Installed, I Did The "CrucialScan" And It Says I Can Go Up To 8GB, So That's What I Wanna Do...

This Is CrucialScan's Report:
    Memory:
    DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300

Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
    Maximum Memory: 8GB
    Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
    Total Memory Slots: 4
    Available Memory Slots: 0
    1GB
    DDR PC2-6400
    1GB
    DDR PC2-6400
    1GB
    DDR PC2-6400
    1GB
    DDR PC2-6400

*Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 4GB kit (2GBx2) per slot.*
    I Just Need To Know Which Is The Best & Cheapest Brand To Get... Same Thing With HD...

4. 30-04-2012  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I upgraded my RAM a while ago- the biggest issue when buying is to make sure the pin counts match up. If you google the type you have with the word "pin" or "pin count" etc you should be able to find it easily.

Why would you want such a large internal HD? I don't even like having large externals really... I only have 1 which is only touched, moved, or used when I backup my portable 1TB HDs to it. If that internal dies you lose a lot of information.

As long as you are running Vista or Win7 you should be fine getting any internal you want- I forget which type it is but XP doesn't recognize most newer HDs and you have to do some weird hack from the boot menu to get it to recognize them. It's a huge pain in the ass.

5. 30-04-2012  #5

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I'll help you out with this later tonight probably.

- DJ BgM

6. 30-04-2012  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Newegg used to be really good, but now you need to be careful with newegg now. Their RMA policy is really horrible and should you receive a dead product, it is a huge hassle to return it. Amazon on the otherhand has free shipping unlike newegg and 'no-questions-asked returns'. If Amazon has the same item, you should always go with Amazon over Newegg.

HDD-wise, because of the flood last year in Thailand where all the manufacturing centers are, the price has gone up around twice as expensive. I would wait getting a HDD until after summer when the manufacturing centers are back online and the price goes back down to normal levels. Of course, if price is no object who gives a shit. The best HDDs are minimum 7200rpm Western Digital. There are different classifications so depending on what you need the HDD for, you want to go with BLACK, BLUE, GREEN.

Generally, blacks are for games/performance, blues are for standard users, greens are for mass storage. I only use black but you may find different uses.

The flood did not effect SSDs because those are not made in Thailand, but SSDs are not good for continual write/read that a studio machine will do.

As for ram, DDR2 ram is expensive nowadays because they aren't made much anymore. For example, you can get DDR3 ram provided your motherboard supports it 8gb for 40$. I would advise looking into your motherboard and seeing if it is compatible with DDR3. If it is not, I would also recommend looking into purchasing a new motherboard (You can get really high-quality Intel Mobos for 80$ these days.)

My guess is that it sounds like you are running an outdated Motherboard and CPU combo which makes upgrading with the compatible hardware far too expensive. Since the new IvyBridge Intel CPUs just came out on April 27th, the last generation SandyBridge is going pretty cheap. You can pick up a solid quad core SandyBridge CPU and a solid motherboard for 170 - 180$ for both and it will make all you future upgrades easier.

SOO if your budget is $300 and if you go with a new CPU + MoBo + DDR3 (8gb) + HDD, it will probably only be slightly more expensive than upgrading current compatible gear AND you will most likely see a 1000% increase in performance.

I know it is a wall of text but I wanted to let you know all your options and what they would be. Of course, it would still be cheapest to just purchase the DDR2 and a new HDD right now, but you will eventually have to upgrade again.

--

Crucial DDR2 you need two of these, same exact price, but amazon comes with good customer service:

http://amzn.com/B0011A4UZE

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148160

--

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB: http://amzn.com/B0036Q7MV0 136$

vs.

Western Digital Blue 1TB: http://amzn.com/B00461LT6S 99$

vs.

Western Digital Green 2TB: http://amzn.com/B004VFJ9MK 119$

As you can see the Green offers most space but it's not for performance, meaning, if you will be recording onto the Green, you will have problems. If it is just for storing multi-tracks, the green is perfect. Again, I personally use Black even for storing movies because but the green will work just fine.
    --

Let me know if you need additional help~
    Last edited by BBM; 30-04-2012 at 04:15.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

7. 30-04-2012  #7

Administrator

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onelovemash View Post
    Why would you want such a large internal HD? I don't even like having large externals really... I only have 1 which is only touched, moved, or used when I backup my portable 1TB HDs to it. If that internal dies you lose a lot of information.
    I Have A Lot Of Stuff On Different Externals, So I Want To Get One Main 3TB Internal, Maybe A 1TB Or 2TB Back Up Internal, Then A 3TB External To Back Everything Up In Case Anything Happens To The Other Two...

8. 30-04-2012  #8

Administrator

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ BgM View Post
    I'll help you out with this later tonight probably.
    Thanks Dude...

9. 30-04-2012  #9

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDiCT View Post
    I Have A Lot Of Stuff On Different Externals, So I Want To Get One Main 3TB Internal, Maybe A 1TB Or 2TB Back Up Internal, Then A 3TB External To Back Everything Up In Case Anything Happens To The Other Two...
    Okay, so if you want a backup drive, go with Western Digital Green. They were made for this use.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

10. 30-04-2012  #10

Administrator

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatsbyMaidah View Post
    Newegg used to be really good, but now you need to be careful with newegg now. Their RMA policy is really horrible and should you receive a dead product, it is a huge hassle to return it. Amazon on the otherhand has free shipping unlike newegg and 'no-questions-asked returns'. If Amazon has the same item, you should always go with Amazon over Newegg.

HDD-wise, because of the flood last year in Thailand where all the manufacturing centers are, the price has gone up around twice as expensive. I would wait getting a HDD until after summer when the manufacturing centers are back online and the price goes back down to normal levels. Of course, if price is no object who gives a shit. The best HDDs are minimum 7200rpm Western Digital. There are different classifications so depending on what you need the HDD for, you want to go with BLACK, BLUE, GREEN.

Generally, blacks are for games/performance, blues are for standard users, greens are for mass storage. I only use black but you may find different uses.

The flood did not effect SSDs because those are not made in Thailand, but SSDs are not good for continual write/read that a studio machine will do.

As for ram, DDR2 ram is expensive nowadays because they aren't made much anymore. For example, you can get DDR3 ram provided your motherboard supports it 8gb for 40$. I would advise looking into your motherboard and seeing if it is compatible with DDR3. If it is not, I would also recommend looking into purchasing a new motherboard (You can get really high-quality Intel Mobos for 80$ these days.)

My guess is that it sounds like you are running an outdated Motherboard and CPU combo which makes upgrading with the compatible hardware far too expensive. Since the new IvyBridge Intel CPUs just came out on April 27th, the last generation SandyBridge is going pretty cheap. You can pick up a solid quad core SandyBridge CPU and a solid motherboard for 170 - 180$ for both and it will make all you future upgrades easier.

SOO if your budget is $300 and if you go with a new CPU + MoBo + DDR3 (8gb) + HDD, it will probably only be slightly more expensive than upgrading current compatible gear AND you will most likely see a 1000% increase in performance.

I know it is a wall of text but I wanted to let you know all your options and what they would be. Of course, it would still be cheapest to just purchase the DDR2 and a new HDD right now, but you will eventually have to upgrade again.

--

Crucial DDR2 you need two of these, same exact price, but amazon comes with good customer service:

http://amzn.com/B0011A4UZE

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148160

--

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB: http://amzn.com/B0036Q7MV0 136$

vs.

Western Digital Blue 1TB: http://amzn.com/B00461LT6S 99$

vs.

Western Digital Green 2TB: http://amzn.com/B004VFJ9MK 119$

As you can see the Green offers most space but it's not for performance, meaning, if you will be recording onto the Green, you will have problems. If it is just for storing multi-tracks, the green is perfect. Again, I personally use Black even for storing movies because but the green will work just fine.
    --

Let me know if you need additional help~
    God Damn!!! I Feel Like I Have My Own Personal "Geek Squad" With You BBM... LMAO!!! You Have Taken The Term "Help" And Went Above And Beyond... I Really Appreciate It...

The HD Is Gonna Be For My Studio Comp, So I Need Something That Runs/Reads Fast, And There Is Gonna Be A Lot Of Storage... So I Should Go With All Western Digital Greens???

This Comp Is Outdated, I Bought It About 3 Yrs Ago... I'm Just Trying To Do The Maximum Upgrade For The Time Being, Because Eventually I'm Going To Build A New One From The Ground Up...

So If You Can Just Give Me Links, Where I Can Click And Buy These Upgrades Needed, That Would Help Me Out Tons!!!