1. 11-01-2012  #1

Restricted

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts

Mastering for that fat electro house sound

Has anyone had really good experiences with any particular mastering techniques/VSTs lately to get that fat electro house sound?

I'm having a hard time striking a balance between the heavy compression associated with the style and compression so heavy it hurts my ears. Any advice is appreciated!

2. 12-01-2012  #2

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'll just compress the buss channels first to get it to the max level, then sidechain it to the bassdrum to give space for the two of them and then i'll lower a bit the frequencies that are alike of each one (for example i will remove 10-60 hz on the synth and then remove 150-300 on the bassdrum) it may sound weird by reading this but when you compress everything it would help removing the mess in frequencies. A tip appart from this that I was told is to remove any innecessary frequencies from every channel to leave room for instruments that really use them.

3. 12-01-2012  #3

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    in my chain i use 2 compressors, eq, stereo imager, multiband limiter and dadda life sausage fattener, i find these work really well in the right order. hope that helps

4. 12-01-2012  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by richardik03 View Post
    I'll just compress the buss channels first to get it to the max level, then sidechain it to the bassdrum to give space for the two of them and then i'll lower a bit the frequencies that are alike of each one (for example i will remove 10-60 hz on the synth and then remove 150-300 on the bassdrum) it may sound weird by reading this but when you compress everything it would help removing the mess in frequencies. A tip appart from this that I was told is to remove any innecessary frequencies from every channel to leave room for instruments that really use them.
    I find that when you EQ before compressing, you want that stage to cut the unwanted frequencies, then do all your compressing then EQ again but this time you do the boosting. i dont know how much you know about compressors but they react to certain frequencies, so if you boost the hell out of say 100hz then the compressor will work harder and attack the 100hz range before compressing everything else. all i all it will change the way everything sounds compared to EQ - Compress - EQ.
    I that makes sense haha

5. 12-01-2012  #5

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stallion203369 View Post
    in my chain i use 2 compressors, eq, stereo imager, multiband limiter and dadda life sausage fattener, i find these work really well in the right order. hope that helps
    I guess you use the sausage fattener just for the bus, right?

6. 12-01-2012  #6

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I guess you use the sausage fattener just for the bus, right?
    Yeah i do but i also find that it works well on the master channel, only slightly though cause it can destroy everything haha

7. 12-01-2012  #7

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I find that when you EQ before compressing, you want that stage to cut the unwanted frequencies, then do all your compressing then EQ again but this time you do the boosting. i dont know how much you know about compressors but they react to certain frequencies, so if you boost the hell out of say 100hz then the compressor will work harder and attack the 100hz range before compressing everything else. all i all it will change the way everything sounds compared to EQ - Compress - EQ.
    I that makes sense haha
    I like to put the EQ after because i often cut frequencies more than boosting and when you comprees you are loosing a bit of your EQ settings, just different ways to work I've worked with some engineers that even use limiters instead of compressors for the bus channels haha

8. 12-01-2012  #8

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I like to put the EQ after because i often cut frequencies more than boosting and when you comprees you are loosing a bit of your EQ settings, just different ways to work I've worked with some engineers that even use limiters instead of compressors for the bus channels haha
    yeah thats true, i usually EQ first to cut everything out then compress then EQ again. Yeah i've jumped on the limiter bandwagon as well, i multiband compress my basses, used more to expand them

9. 12-01-2012  #9

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    yeah thats true, i usually EQ first to cut everything out then compress then EQ again. Yeah i've jumped on the limiter bandwagon as well, i multiband compress my basses, used more to expand them
    To be honest I use only one EQ for each channel almost everytime, I have the idea not to process the bass that much. For me if a sound needs that much processing I'll just change the synth sound (I'm working just with midi so that suits me perfectly). By the way, I found some creative ideas using vocal effects vst's on the bass sounds (mostly AVOX vst's), give this a go! :)

10. 12-01-2012  #10

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To be honest I use only one EQ for each channel almost everytime, I have the idea not to process the bass that much. For me if a sound needs that much processing I'll just change the synth sound (I'm working just with midi so that suits me perfectly). By the way, I found some creative ideas using vocal effects vst's on the bass sounds (mostly AVOX vst's), give this a go! :)
    Yeah thats cool, i still mix like i do with my bands and stuff but was able to transfer sort of the same techniques to dance music. Alot of my stuff is midi as well, but getting massive bass sounds has alot to do with compression, and my EQ'ing dosent look like the rocky mountains haha its more finer cuts and boosts. i agree if you need to over process something then change it. Yeah i've seen a few producers do that vox fx, still hasnt sold it for me yet