Hi guys.

I've been experimenting with a few stems and found the mixdown to be a bit off. Now, without even CD quality stems to work with I expected this, but the end result just doesn't sound right.

It tends to lack a little treble. But mix is within range and at -1 dB on one. So no obvious sign of distortion.

I've done no adjusting of the levels so I'm leaving it up to the stems to be levelled as they are. Which may be off the studio mix. I only like to adjust when they are too loud when all combined.

If the source is 128Kbps then obviously the mixdown isn't going to be good quality either way. However, for separate tracks, where the frequencies are somewhat reduced, I thought this may work in favour of the stems. Even if there are cross ranges over frequencies.

But, after listening, it sounds like the original in 128Kbps is still better. I'm only testing with 80's and 90's stuff which would have been processed differently in the studio. And a DAW would mix tracks in 64-bit float if it makes any difference. Since the sources are still 16-bit integer.