1. 03-01-2015  #1

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

The Future of Multitracks

The global remix community is rapidly becoming bigger and bigger thanks to the ease of use of music-centric social media such as Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Mixcloud and the VERY promising Blend.io (community based remix site). As a result, more remix contests have started to appear, while new services such as Jammit and Modern Mixing's marketplace are actually selling multitracks.

What do you think of the future of multitracks, and how do you believe that Lite Records, and the remix community as a whole, will be affected?

There are people here in Lite who put a great deal of effort into providing content. We keep cracking open stems from games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band (though nobody has figured out how to decrypt the newer Rock Band songs or Power Gig's ones, unfortunately), discovering material from long-forgotten remix contests and make our own acapellas and instrumentals. However, there is still lots of stuff out there on the internet that's a real mess. It is a pain having to sort through 5GB+ collections of, say, acapellas with horribly organized filenames and, often, awful sound quality. And there are contest multitracks which have been taken down for years and nobody can ever find again.

Generally, I feel that what we are doing here as a community (collecting, verifying, uploading, trading, etc.) is just the beginning of a new era, and that, in the future, we will have bigger, better and more organized collections of acapellas, instrumentals and stems for thousands of artists. I can't wait until this day comes. Until then, I guess we'll have to keep on tracking down stuff, quality-checking, organizing and categorizing everything as we go!

2. 04-01-2015  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Everyone at Lite Records appreciates all and any kind words, as we always try to be the most dedicated members in the music mixing community. At the same time though, I'd like to touch base on a few of the things you've stated:

1) When you say "the future of multitracks", I'm assuming you mean in terms of public availability. While cracked stems from games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero were never intended to be made public by their respective companies (though we have always gladly accepted them), the fact that we are a community remains. In other words, as the industry and its resources advance, Lite Records will as well. At the same time, all advances in music/technology move slowly, so Lite Records doesn't have to fear an impending day where it will fall behind.

2)
    However, there is still lots of stuff out there on the internet that's a real mess.
    Are you referring to the forums' content, or just whatever you find off Google results? Again, we are not a music label, so matters like audio quality is in the hands of the uploader, who should be stating such details within their threads.

3) Yes, we all can agree that what we are doing on Lite Records as a community is helping shape music, no matter how big of a scale you may place this statement on. Still, "waiting for a new era" sounds a bit counterproductive if we're working as a community. Sites like ours are what help fuel projects and collaborations like the aforementioned remix contests, so while Lite Records grows, more attention will be made.

4)
    I guess we'll have to keep on tracking down stuff, quality-checking, organizing and categorizing everything as we go!
    Yeah... same as always. :p At the same time, "more organized" might be the main concern in that, and hopefully the soon-to-be new forum layout will help everyone with that in the future. :)

3. 04-01-2015  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Are you referring to the forums' content, or just whatever you find off Google results?
    The latter. There's always the scenario when we upload something to Lite, only to find there was a better quality version of it somewhere else. Gah!

Still, "waiting for a new era" sounds a bit counterproductive
    Yeah, I didn't phrase that part correctly! I just meant that I'm excited about what's to come regarding the sharing of multitracks! We keep unearthing more and more stuff.

hopefully the soon-to-be new forum layout will help everyone with that in the future. :)
    Yeah, I can't wait for that, either!!