1. 01-12-2012  #1

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Exclamation Windows Users...CPU being eaten up???? Check this out....

Ok so I noticed something happening with my win7 os laptop.....

The cpu with nothing running (apparently) was peaking as much as 50% when I was doing nothing.Don't ask how I didn't notice before but I didn't!!!

Long story short there are a few services (with processes) that run in the background and just eat and shit your cpu.

So,if you wanna see if this is happening to you,go to your task manager by pressing ctrl + shift + esc

select show processes for all users.

You will maybe see one in there called wmpnetwk.exe (this is a windows media player sharing file,that is sharing your media on your network....that stays there even when you tell windows media player not to share your stuff)

To disable it and stop it from eating your cpu,click start,and where it says search programs and files...type 'services' and click the one with the picture of a little cog wheel/gear beside it.Up pops a new window,scroll down and look for a service called 'Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service' and double click it.Set the startup type to disabled,and hit apply,also hit stop then ok.

This will nip the issue in the bud straight away.Obviously do not do this if you use windows media player to stream media across your network

I also found another 3 processes to do with windows search indexing that were also wasting/eating up valuable cpu resources,again if you want rid,goto start,type services,select the same program (services with the cogs/gear icon) as previously mentioned,nav your way to the service called windows search and double click it.Set its startup type to disabled,hit apply then also hit stop then ok.

This does not disable your windows search,it just gets rid of annoying cpu eating background services.

Don't try it if you are afraid of breaking anything,but I have done both....disabled Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and Windows search,and all it has done is speed up my computer big time.

The process is completely reversable,all you do is go to start.type services,click the one with the cogs/gear icons... nav your way to the services (Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and Windows search) double click them and put the startup type back to Automatic (delayed start) hit apply then hit start.

Try at your own risk,I take no blame if you wreck anything,its all straightforward,and worked a treat for me!!!!

Just have a look at your task manager and your performance when your computer is idle,and you will see if you will benefit from doing this or not.

Good luck,may just help you run those few extra vsts you always wanted in your project

:)
    Last edited by Gaz; 01-12-2012 at 14:17. Reason: only one typo yeah!

Out there and back

2. 07-02-2013  #2

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks, i been getting some random cpu spikes on my new pc, so this is some information that might help.

3. 11-10-2013  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    thanks , that windows media sharing service was really slowing my pcs down... thanks to this lil tip not any more

4. 26-06-2014  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thanks! this info really helped me out ! big ups

5. 02-11-2014  #5

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    thanks! this info really helped me

6. 03-11-2014  #6

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up

Thanks dude! Helped a ton!

7. 03-01-2015  #7

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There's quite a lot of services that can be disabled, just do a google search for more! Although I'd highly recommend recording which one's you've changed and/or creating a restore point before you start, I managed to fuck up my machine big time by changing services once and couldnt remember what I'd done.