Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Roland Gaia SH-01 and Cubase 5

omg what a noob im typing in the dark SH - 01 that should be haha
    Anybody got one of these and using it with cubase??
    I bought one the other day,I was after a new controller/trigger keyboard
    but this caught my attention instead.Heres the deal,there is a usb port to connect it
    to pc and the manual says that it transmits and recieves both audio and midi like the virus ti that might i say i also own and is working perfectly via the usb port/latest os and virus control plugin.There isn't however a plugin for the gaia,it appears to me that the drivers are purely this....a usb midi/audio driver but for the damn life of me i can't get any audio through this usb lead.The midi seems to work fine,had a bit of bother getting the gaia clock to run in sync via midi transmitted from my soundcard by cubase,and then a bit of further bother getting the arps to play when a midi note was triggered (all that sorted now ofc).Can anyone please point me in the right direction about this usb audio crap?? I've had a bit of a search on the web but there's not much about.A few dudes with similar issues but no bloody help! I am having to use the old school recording approach for now and I'm happy enough to continue to do so.I just don't like getting beat by crap,and it says this can be done in the manual so wtf!!!!!
    Any help appreciated guys
    Thanx
    Daz
    :@
    Last edited by AAJH; 07-04-2011 at 23:54. Reason: at request

2. 08-04-2011  #2

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    yeh sunny,usb 2,ive tried driver reinstall but to no avail.even when not using my only other midi/audio usb port which is for the the ti.The virus is seriously bang on the button 4 what it says in tha manual and it does what its meant to do and well! How hard in this day and age would it be for roland to have a vst to operate the gaia.I'll be cool without a plugin too,its just a real pain in the ass having another two audio cables to go to my sound card,especially since the gaia has two input channels as well which could be sent down the usb lead with this mystery gaia usb audio,leaving my poor sound card out of it for once,if you know what i mean.
    Have 2 wait n see what way things pan out get it lol
    HAHA
    Cheers any m8
    Last edited by Gaz; 08-04-2011 at 00:43. Reason: wasnt finished typin and hit enter ffs

3. 08-04-2011  #3

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Right I think i sussed it.How to get this usb audio going anyway.You have to change the gaia to be the active sound card in cubase.But heres the trouble with that!!!! Everything else goes in/out of my main card including my monitors so wtf kinda way to work would that be! As soon as i switch to gaia as active card I'd have no sound cos stereo out of cubase would then be going out the gaia via usb instead of to my monitors which are connected to the main card, even just switching between the 2 as sound cards would be a pain as I'd need to keep swapping the monitors between it and my main card as well just so i could hear the rest of my mix while recording!l That would be a real pain as Ive also a sub integrated into my monitoring set up! What a pile of horse dung.I just dont get why they didnt get a plugin 4 it to let u use it via usb but on your own soundcard! Virus ti can do this but it can also act as your audio device if you want it too.Mybe roland jumped on the wrong bandwagon>If i worked at roland and could have made total synth conrol of the gaia in any DAW via usb audio and a plugin I would have done it! Surely to goodness they havent thought making it just a
    soundcard/synth,Im near the end of my rant now.Somethin so beautiful as this synth should not be causing so many stupid problems! Think the usb can go do 1 in my opinion,and I'll just live with recording the fkr on my own card and tweaking other things with its nobs n sliders! another way that they might sort this out could be to let you select and route the gaias usb audio to your sound card internally some how.acess have done it with the ti as a vst.Tis just a bit much to get ones head around ah well! It does sound gr8 though!!!! If anyone has anything to say about any of this thread hit me with it! LOUD!

4. 19-04-2011  #4

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    have you tried the roland forum?
    i find places like that are very useful for help when stuck.

i was havin major ball aches with Steinbergs Symphonic Orchestra a while back and only certain patches would play. turns out only 1 output in the list works, and some patches require expression do be drawn in before they'll play any sound.

5. 27-04-2011  #5

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    went out and bought the Gaia myself a few days ago. got it all sorted with my midi interface and was curious about the USB so installed the drivers.

The internal audio interface in the Gaia needs to be your default before i could hear the sound and my main interface disabled.... highly annoying....

i reverted back to the midi i/o and the 1/4" jack method... so much easier

6. 28-04-2011  #6

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    sounds like a pain dude! H8 stuff like this.M8 i tried rolands forum! There is pants all there apart from links to the manual etc! Its the biggest pile of cack as far as not doing what its meant to do (the way I thought it would-like the virus).I'll maybe check again someday but 4 now i'll keep on recordin and keep on truckin'! lol thanks anyway
    D

Out there and back