1. 30-03-2015  #1

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Discussion re. Backing Tracks/Stems Used with a Live Band

Hi , looking for some views on what I notice with using backing (I usually use synth only ) tracks with live guitars/drums/vocals .

In a live rock band environment the live instruments will step all over the "produced" synth/backing track making it quite difficult to mix it in. I am guessing that this is due to the backing track being compressed, mastered etc. and the live instruments being more open sounding . The backing ends up sounding thin compared to the live instruments.

Most big rock tours have some backing tracks going on ................. would it be sensible to assume that they use the "unprocessed" stems from their recordings to mix in with the live instruments over the highly processed finished tracks ?

Or , is there a way of opening up the sound of the produced stems/tracks with EQ etc ? I realise that this will be the reverse of what most people on here are tying to achieve with their tracks but it would be an interesting and fun discussion for me anyway .

2. 03-05-2015  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I've done sequencing, and eventually recorded sequences for my band and quite a few others. Initially the sequences were controlling actual synths and modules, so we were basically dealing with a "live" instrument. When we started using multi-timbral synths, we had less control, and the sound suffered slightly at the expense of convenience. When we moved to recording the tracks (we initially moved to stereo with click: computer based, down to mono with click: iPod based), we made it easy as pie to incorporate the backing tracks, but the sound suffered, again slightly. To us, backing tracks were just a way to be able to expand the possibilities of what the band could play, not a substitute for creative ways to play those songs with what we had (2 guitars, bass, drums, with everyone able to sing: (Me ... not so much!!!).

Good topic, hope it gets more responses.

3. 06-05-2015  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Yeah , that's the way we have done it . Mono synth/sequence track on right , click on left . Still find it difficult to mix in the synth/sequence track to give it a live feel.

4. 05-07-2015  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Interesting topic. We've played samples/backing as a live instrument. Having samples loaded onto an Emax and played as required. It's worked really well. Power of Love by Huey Lewis & The News being a particular highlight

5. 09-07-2015  #5

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think triggering samples / playing to a click track is the way to go if you want to stand out as a covers band. Another advantage is that you can sync a light show really easily if you really want to be noticed ..... use your DAW or even easier with DMXIS + Showbuddy

6. 23-07-2015  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My band runs multitracks on Ableton Live. It give us the chance to adjust the levels of our tracks a little bit if we get a sound check. My plan is to sync lights and ultimately video to my tracks. Makes it all easy. Our band doesn't have a guitar player. Keys, bass, drums and three singers.

7. 13-08-2015  #7

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Synching lights would be great (and super easy these days), though that's quite an expense. Video would put you well above anyone else and be a real selling point. We (at least my first band) did alot of pyro fog and dry ice, When the incident with Great White happened, I was prepping a full on pyro band called Playing With Matches, burning guitars, bass drums & mic stand, Lincoln's head blowing up (confetti) during his famous speech ... in an electric chair. It was KISS meets Alice Cooper meets Frank Soda [(If you don't know Frank Soda google him, he was insane!!!)] And NO, we did not even consider wearing erupting volcano0es on our heads (Frank Soda ... REALLY!!!!).

As far as I'm concerned bells and whistles are only worthwhile if the band is already great ... simply nice condiments to an otherwise delicious meal.

8. 16-08-2015  #8

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbassiam View Post
    As far as I'm concerned bells and whistles are only worthwhile if the band is already great ... simply nice condiments to an otherwise delicious meal.
    Couldn't agree more

9. 11-02-2016  #9

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUntalentedOne View Post
    Couldn't agree more
    With whistles, get the drummer to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGlykH3T-Q

But I've noticed that Korn use the studio synth stems when performing songs from The Path of Totality live, I inverted the synth stem of Get Up! to the live at the Palladium track and it got rid of the synth. I think they should've left the synths out.