1. 20-05-2014  #1

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

Stuff you noticed thanks to stems

Have you ever discovered any "hidden" sounds in stems, instrumentals or acapellas?

I was listening to Lily Allen's "Air Balloon" and I noticed that, in the chorus, Lily's is in the background singing "air balloon, air balloon" in a high-pitched chipmunk voice.

In the Guitar Hero: Metallica multitracks of "Ace of Spades", Lemmy says an extra lyric: "That's right, babe!" That's because the song was re-recorded for the game, as the original multitracks are lost.

In the instrumental of Crystal Castles' Celestica, a synth is playing the exact same notes Alice Class sings.

2. 22-05-2014  #2

Executive Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Well, I noticed that "Harder to Breathe" has elevator music in the background, that I had never heard before.

Bohemian Rhapsody... Lemme tell you, I hear the Melody, and maybe three other vocal lines for the song. There are about 8. (7 if you count them as "pitches") Wow...

Talk Dirty to Me by Jason Derulo, I inverted all the tracks and listened to them separately, and the "Get Jazzy on Em'" is very... Demonic.

EWF - September, got to listen to isolated "Baa Dee Ahh" on there. Which proves me wrong on the lyrics I thought I heard. (Something like "Ahh Yee Hahh" or something.)

Besides that, I compared remade songs from the game Elite Beat Agents to the originals with Multitracks, and found that each and every one uses at least one stem from the song! That's amazing to me.

3. 02-06-2014  #3

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Always, the last one in my mind is OneRepublic's "If I Lose Myself" there were those amazing hidden bells just like church bells which I never even heard in the original song.

4. 09-06-2014  #4

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I don't recall which one, but I recall listening to one of the Beatles tracks. You could hear Yoko in the background saying "John kinda sounds like a fag, doesn't he?" - or something that sounded very much like that.

5. 11-06-2014  #5

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Here's something to add to this.
    I had an interesting experience today, with a local radio DJ Bob Rivers of "twisted Tunes' fame here along with the #1 Jimi Hendrix tribute guy Randy Hansen. Both of them belong to a band called Heart by Heart, with Heart drummer Mike Derosier and founding Heart bassist Steve Fosset, who was also supposed to be here for listening to some Heart multitracks... Steve couldn't make it.

Randy and I started listening to Hendrix's 3rd Stone From the Sun multitrack. He wanted to hear it because it contains some pretty weird stuff...

Well, here's what we isolated and time/pitch corrected... in the whole mix, you really can't make anything out because it's so buried and slow...

Randy just about cried when he heard this.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://www.soundcloud.com/wolfemacleod/3rd-stone-vocal[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    Last edited by burntscarr; 14-11-2016 at 23:37.

6. 18-06-2014  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Wow! Awesome stuff, guys!

7. 21-06-2014  #7

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was listening to 2pac's adlib layer from Thugs Get Lonely Too, and there is one part towards the end where you hear him rustling some papers and his pager goes off while in the booth. It's interesting what goes on in the background (breathing, headphone leakage, others talking or recording, etc...), and it's kind of eerie in a way.

8. 02-07-2014  #8

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Yeah, that's awesome, it gives you the illusion of being in the studio.

9. 02-07-2014  #9

Restricted

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    The recording sessions for t.A.T.u.'s "Nas Ne Dogonyat" leaked a few years back. Some guitar parts that were in the demo also were in the pack, and you can hear t.A.T.u. giggling in the background. Also, almost everything about If U Seek Amy br Britney is so harsh-sounding and very basic synths, like, Casio-sounding synths... But altogether it sounds great.

10. 09-07-2014  #10

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Yeah, also Lady Gaga's synths on her first few singles are pretty ugly when separated.