Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Crisp Vocal Effect Tutorial?

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/kittamusic-mix/crip/s-JO0CL[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    Click here if not working
    what plugin and/or progran would be best for me to use if i wanted to make vocals "crisp" like on the tracks sampled above?

sorry if this has already been answered, i dont know what else to call this effect lol

2. 21-04-2014  #2

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I assume you mean the vocal stutter effect or gate effect? There are many tutorials on Youtube and quite a few different ways to incorporate this effect.

• Manually slicing the waveform of the vocal on your DAWs playlist. (requires time & patience but has more freedom of rhythm, imo)
    • Using a sample slicer plugin, basically the vocal is in a piano roll & each different 'note' in the piano roll is a different slice of the vocal. (trickier to smoothly transition from vocal to the sliced pattern)
    • Using a gate plugin, place the plugin on your vocal bus channel of the mixer & automate when you'd like the effect to happen. (really easy, but as far as I know - it can't repeat the vocal hooks like the previous two can & like what is heard in your demo)
    • Using a plugin like Melodyne, place the vocal in the plugin, select the part you want to repeat and copy & paste into the rhythm you want. (much easier with small snippets files & you can change the pitch of the vocal hooks - like we hear in the second part of your demo)

Typically, the initial vocals would've been sustained hooks, then sliced a small part in the middle of the hook, repeated that slice in a rhythm & then continued the remnants of the hook.
    If you're using one of the first two methods, remember to slice the vowels :)
    Last edited by AAJH; 22-04-2014 at 00:21.
    If any of my links are dead, just PM me requesting to re-up.

3. 02-05-2014  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    If you want to make a vocal stuttering effect, you can use a "glitch VST" and automate it so it's enabled only on the part of the vocal you want. I use this one, appropriately called Glitch. It's free and easy (though the Glitch 2 version requires payment).