1. 24-01-2014  #1

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts

excessive midi activity???

hi guys, i know theres some very clever ppl on here, and im begging for help,

i run, flstudio 11 on my windows pc, i have just a midi controller ( behringer umx-61 ) plugged in,

but im seeing a huge amount of midi activity going on, the midi light is flashing like mad, the volume is being eratic,
    it wont let me link to the controller, as as soon as i click the botton, it turns straight off, ( as if ive selected something ) i tried all sorts to stem this problem, i used to use flstudio 10 b4, and all i had was the issue of linking the controller to the midi, eg, setting my knob to turn the filters,, but afte a while it would let me,, altho the midi light would still flash like mad, ( as if somethings running midi )

i have a freshly formatted windows 7 pc, with nothing else running and this has always happened, on fl10, and 11, just worse of fl11,

i didnt need to install any drivers for the umx it just worked,, im wondering if that may be the issue,, orrr, i have a faulty midi controller, can any1 help??

2. 03-03-2015  #2

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Have you checked if the controller works with any other DAW or have you tried launching a standalone virtual instrument to see if it the problem persists? “Class compliant” USB devices (which your Behring is) don´t need drivers installed in theory, but you should still check the manufacture’s website for the most recent drivers available. Sometimes class compliant USB hardware may be recognized properly by Windows OS, but maybe not by some DAWS.

I have been using FL studio since version 2 and find it´s one of the less problematic DAWS when it comes to MIDI devices hooked up to your PC, I can even switch on controllers and interfaces (MIDI!) After the program has been launched, and they will be recognized without having to re start the program.

It sounds like the controller may be acting up. The assignable data slider to the far left might be the culprit, because it is assigned by default to cc7, which is volume. Maybe it is stuck somehow (like dried up moisture and dust) and it keeps sending controller data. Some basic trouble shooting steps you can try:
    1. Check if the device is recognized correctly by other MIDI capable software, and make sure you do have the appropriate drivers installed (download latest drivers from Behringer)

2. Check FL Studio MIDI settings to see if the device is recognized and listed properly. Also make sure it has the “enable” box ticked when you select the device in the MIDI devices menu. If so, try disabling it momentarily to see if the constant blinking is actually caused by this controller.

3. Try out blowing out dust from the controller with a compressed air can, and maybe give it a thorough spraying with WD 40.

4. You said you only have that controller installed, but that is a common issue with interfaces that have a built in sequencer, or have a device with a built in sequencer or motorized faders connected to a MIDI interface. Also happens sometimes with audio interfaces that have a WORD clock output for their digital converters. Make sure you have internal clock source selected in audio settings, and that no other devices are transmitting clock or MIDI.

5. You can select the “record score” function in song mode and let the program record a few bars without touching anything. After recording go into the piano roll editor and see if there is any controller data recorded. If the device is sending out data, you should be able to see the recorded events, and be able to pinpoint which encoder is sending the data (you will have to expand the cc event menu is the lower part of the piano roll editor -where velociy for notes is displayed by default- and see which cc controllers have a check box).

I hope you can resolve this issue one way or another.