1. 27-05-2013  #1

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Exclamation Issues with writers block...

Ok, Here's the deal,

I write Hip Hop lyrics (which are not that hard to write in the first place) but for the past 5 or so years I've been having a really hard time writing anything. I even moved to a different city for a bit to combat the effects. I know I haven't lost the passion of music since I'm constantly on sites like this and I talk about music 24/ 7. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and could give me a few pointers on how I can get back down to writing! I would really like to provide some music for Lite Records to jam to and/ or use in mixes, I'm just so bleh... Any input is helpful, no matter how ridiculous it is! PLEASE SAVE ME FROM WRITERS BLOCK!!!!
    The Anti Gangsta

2. 27-05-2013  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i kno this is gonna sound wierd but write down ur experiences from the last 5 years the move etc on post it notes not in lyrical format just whats happened then take each note and try comin up with a verse or half just from the experience on that note its a trick one of my mate who MCs uses... hope this helps
    P.S Instrumentals and Stems Are For Unimaginative Cheats

3. 27-05-2013  #3

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    You could also try listening to the music that inspired you back then and see if that triggers anything. It usually works for me if im thinking of new melodies.
    Hidden Content
    One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain

4. 28-05-2013  #4

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Thanks you guys! That's why I love this place, everybody is so unbelievably helpful! I will try your suggestions, but if you come up with anything else, please tell me! I am also looking to broaden my horizons with other artists on this site, possibly a collaboration of some sort. But again, thanks folks!
    The Anti Gangsta

5. 28-05-2013  #5

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    well if u have any of ur recorded pellas i work in anything from 130bpm to 180bpm so if hip hop anythin around 80-90bpm i dont mind having a stab at a core version of one of ur songs i kno mauro will say the same just at the lower end of the BPM scale ;)
    P.S Instrumentals and Stems Are For Unimaginative Cheats

6. 28-05-2013  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    dude find out what bad habits if any that u have that may be holding ur creativity back, only u would know this its personal for each person, try for new more positive habits to replace them, also in respect to everyday life try some things u have never done before or go places u have never been, broaden ur horizons.. this is some of the ways i have used in my own experience so may not be relevant to u but just thought id throw it out there! good luck and remember sometimes some of ur best work will be done in a very short space of time! almost without effort.. when all the stars align! ;)

7. 30-05-2013  #7

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've always found that taking a break from music helps with writers block for me.
    I hit a snag with producing for about a month solid where I just couldn't seem to create anything I liked. So I just took a few weeks off playing games or just doing anything else, and I just got back into a flow.

8. 14-07-2013  #8

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I find that just spilling my soul and my thoughts onto a page helps me to combat this kind of thing - although I've never had a five year long writer's block.

Just grab a blank piece of paper, and write whatever comes into your mind - thinking particularly about things that 'normally' provide inspiration to you - another user in this thread suggested thinking about hardships that you've faced, but perhaps something in the media recently has struck a chord with you - or perhaps your life is really great right now.

Just put all your thoughts and feelings down in words, and oftentimes good lyrical hooks or verse content can just appear on a page - even if it needs a little changing by the time it actually becomes a song.