Forum: Tutorials   Thread: Need help with mashups..

1. 22-04-2013  #1

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Question Need help with mashups..

Always wanted to do a "mashup" or whatever of some songs and IDK the first thing about how to do it. Can anyone help?
    [B][CENTER]I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching… my car into reverse and driving away from the accident.[/CENTER][/B]

2. 09-07-2013  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    mash ups have got to be 1 of the easiest things to do im music, the hard past is literally finding to songs that would go 2gether, which usually happen by accident, maybe at work, with 2 radio within earshot of eachother, and 2 diff stations, that usually gives me the idea, then all ya need is software to work on ur track, doesnt have to be advanced, something like acid will do fine,, better than fine in fact,, but for the basic i will give u the run down here,,

1st, get your 2 chosen tracks to mash up,, 1 usually a full instrumental, or a track with mostly music, eg.. snap, pump up the jam, out that into acid, use ya metronome, and change the bpms ( in the track properties ) to roughly where it matches up, in this case id say about 135 bpms, , listen to it a few times u will notice chord breaks n changes in the song, at each change,, just make a cut, for later editing, and seqquencing,, next.....
    get an acapella, in this case im using justin timberlakes like i love you,,
    add that to the next track in acid, u should have 2 tracks now, 1 inst, and 1 pella, do the same as u did with the inst, moving the pella about to where u want it to start, then change bpms accordingly,, ,, nowwwwwww the fun begins,,
    now that you have both tracks lined up and in sync, just go wild,, what i did was,,

instr, i cut up into 6 sections, the 1st bar,, 2nd, and so on, and made cuts and deleted the rest until i had 6 loops, ( as its the same throughout the whole song,, as justing starts,, i just played 4 bars of the 1 st bar,, then as he got further into it,, i just changed the bars accordingly to where i wanted them in the pattern,,, then its completely up to you what ya wanna do from there,, i cut the vocals about a bit more, added some delay hare n there to ad adveture to the track so it didint sound too predictable, and boring, its limitless than what ya wanna do,, just dont over do it,, i find keeping it simple is easier, and better results on a mash up,,

another way of doing it, is to actually get the stems of a track, and use an acapella,, then maybe change the drum patterns, for example, heres 1 i did using the police, everystep u take stems, and an acapella of cinema,, but the end result was great so ppl tell me,,,

like this,,,,

https://soundcloud.com/sigma-music-p...ng-smp-mash-up

3. 24-11-2013  #3

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Two most important things in these kind of remixes. #1 Get on beat and #2 get in key! Some people have had the greatest ideas for a mashup, but if it is not in key or locked in beat it is the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to anyone with a well trained musical ear. I'd say 95% of mashup remixes are A+ B, Likely an acapella over an instrumental. We just called those blends back in the day but whatever. From my experience as a 15 year veteran club dj, the more complicated and busy mashups are the faster the dance floor clears Lol Sometimes just keeping it simple is the most effective, but creativity and originality are important too. Good luck! :)

4. 24-03-2014  #4

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Acid pro 7 would be a good place to start for mashups! use the beatmapper tool its quite easy. find an acapella and instrumental that work together, trial and error mate! good luck....