1. 11-04-2015  #11

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo blue View Post
    Also, you could have at least reworded the question rather than directly copying it from here:
    Busted! :-D

Well just to add by clogging my thought into it. When it comes down it real sound in real life is analogue so it will get converted back to analogue anyway. Usually on the speakers. Even with pure digital speakers (do they exist?) once the sound hits the air it has hit the analogue domain.

I grew up with vinyl in the 80's. And also extended and 12" mixes were centred around vinyl. Something that didn't translate well when shrunk to a CD. But 12" remixes will just cloud the issue as we are talking about pure sound.

That said, I saw Enimem come out as vinyl release. I didn't understand this. What person into rap who is a teenager or even in their 30's would want to play rap music on vinyl? I also didn't see the point of cutting some rap music to a 12" disc unless it was a remix. :-?

I see talk of music being digitally re-mastered in 24-bit on the cover of 16-bit CDs. Was there a point to this? We of course do have the 24-bit SACD that didn't take off. DVD-A and now BD-A. But even the average CD player can only play CDs and some will play the new teenage mp3 format. This isn't good for digital audio. CD players can't even play DVD-A and are left behind again by BD-A.

Of course analogue has its problems with pops and cracks from a dirty or scratched disc. As does CD. But vinyl isn't the only analogue medium. We do have tape. Have their been any re-releases made on tape? I was fan of tape also. It translated to your car quite well. It was portable :-)

But I think the big difference these days is convenience. No one, least that I know of, lugs around a giant record player in the back of their car for that pure analogue experience. :-D We had tape and then CD players. And now mp3 or other lossy music players. Or is that lousy music? I think spell correction is on the mark. ;-)

I really think the biggest blot in the music industry is mp3. Years ago FM radio in my car was clear. Now days a song sounds like a corrupted mp3. If I listened to the CD version instead it does sound clearer. Unfortunately no one made a compressed digital format that retained the data and kept the size small enough for storage that took off. Even iTunes music is lossy. Perhaps worse is mp3 with its variable quality setting. I've spent time tracking down some rare song versions only to be rewarded with a teenage mp3. That is 128Kbps. Terrible! I thought young people had the best hearing? Well the teenage mp3 proves that wrong!

So these days, what am I? I've gone digital ATM. Years of computer use and going from pop rock to techno had corrupted my ears. :-)
    Last edited by Hypex; 11-04-2015 at 02:16.