Programs used?

2. 09-02-2013  #2

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Recording ones and a mic/pre amp/recording booth/headphones/computer/good vocalist

Out there and back

3. 11-10-2013  #3

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    If you're talking about making diys, then there are literally dozens of options but Audacity is a free start, Abelton gives great results too.

4. 20-10-2013  #4

Mega Producer

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I use a tool called UTAGOE which does the job well if used correctly.
    http://djlizard.net/2013/06/14/utago...h-translation/

5. 27-10-2013  #5

Staff Team

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Recording ones and a mic/pre amp/recording booth/headphones/computer/good vocalist
    This is defo the best way :D

Out there and back

6. 02-11-2013  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Why aren't people willing to share knowledge anymore? I could find all the current info on the net before, but nowadays (as methods evolve) no one seems to want to share. I have my old DIY acapella projects saved and would like to improve them with newer methods, but people simply avoid answering questions about newer DIY methods (and I've tried contacting several prominent members of this forum). This is strange to say the least. It's not like it would hurt anyone. Or am I missing something?

7. 08-11-2013  #7

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kaeovo View Post
    Why aren't people willing to share knowledge anymore? I could find all the current info on the net before, but nowadays (as methods evolve) no one seems to want to share. I have my old DIY acapella projects saved and would like to improve them with newer methods, but people simply avoid answering questions about newer DIY methods (and I've tried contacting several prominent members of this forum). This is strange to say the least. It's not like it would hurt anyone. Or am I missing something?

Because there is no magic acapella making technique man! Every method you try is going to be hit or miss. Even getting direct wav rips from cd singles are no guarantee of success. I have a stack of promo cds that were absolute failures. There are so many variables to take into account. How the track was recorded/mastered. Was there post processing with added effects, added to one of the mixes? This is often the case when you can cancel everything except say the bass line or some keys,kicks,snares etc.
    Just for example, a TON of Wu Tang Clan singles are like that. There's just no way around it. Also anything recorded on 2" analog tape prior to digital recording has a much lower success rate due to pitch fluctuation. That involves more cutting and pasting to line things up better, and is a lot more time consuming. Utagoe (now discontinued) is great for the quick perfect matches, but often useless on other things. You just have to experiment with a little of each until you find a method that works for what you are trying to do. Lately I've been using Sony Acid Pro a lot, with different combos of plugins. I only use Utagoe rip on the direct wav rips from cds. mp3 rips often sound too muddy and over-filtered for me. I prefer to have a little background bleed with nice crisp vocals. Good luck :)

8. 09-11-2013  #8

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I understand what you wrote and agree that there are no magic acapella making techiques. But here's the situation. There have been really great DIYs posted lately. I contacted the OPs expecting at least some kind of info how they got such fantastic results (obviously not by using Utagoe, Knockout etc.). The replies? "Man, I use all kinds of techniques". You don't say?! I really don't understand this. Sharing knowledge would benefit EVERYBODY. I could, for example, improve some of my DIYs (that were cool to begin with, but could definitely sound better) and share with everbody here. Instead of that, there's no improvement, no evolution, nothing... Have you seen any new DIY tutorials recently? I haven't. The inverted phase, Utagoe, knockout and other techniques are years old. And new, better methods are kept in the dark (while DIYs produced with them are making rounds). But some day people will share such knowledge again. I hope... Cheers.

9. 10-11-2013  #9

Banned

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Well, there are a lot of much improved sound editors out now. I know a few people use the expensive apps like Sonicworx isolate on older songs with no instrumentals etc. You can watch demos on Youtube of detailed removal of individual instruments etc. but this is very misleading, as it requires good track separation to begin with. Mashtactic was a poor man's version of Sonicworx ($50 US) I got some amazing clean acapella results on old 50's and 60's tunes with that app. However it too involves lots of tweaking of the settings to find the sweet spot. The bottom line is if you want the best results you are going to need the best possible quality files, and nothing beats having the actual direct cd rips. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hQ4Ffq4WKU

10. 10-11-2013  #10

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I really appreciate your replies, man. I have some surround channel audio (with vocals and basses) that I've been trying to separate (actually, to get rid of the basses) for a very long time. I even asked some of the prominent members for help (and even offered financial compensation), but to no avail. Your input is greatly appreciated, maybe there's a chance I'll finally get this precious DIY as it should be... And then I'll share it with all of you, guys. Cheers!