Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. 16-03-2015  #11

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have used pro tools for a long time but recently I have been using Studio One on my Mac and its great. Very easy to use.

2. 18-03-2015  #12

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Another vote for Logic here.

I've stuck with Logic 9 for I guess 5-6 years now and it's been absolutely rock solid. Granted, I mostly work with plugins and don't track many live instruments. But I've live tracked a full drum kit, bass, and rhythm guitar through a combination of Presonus firewire interfaces and it didn't hiccup.

I just love the layout and workflow of Logic, too.

3. 11-04-2015  #13

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I still use reason, I've tried other DAW's but in the end it's about whatever program it takes to get the right sounds outta ur head.

4. 15-04-2015  #14

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Logic is a great and very capable piece of software that comes with a lot in the box. Pro Tools isn't bad at version 11 but it still doesn't come with a whole lot. I think for mixing or editing, Pro Tools is great but for production I choose Logic. One of my friends prefers Ableton for production, especially for electronic stuff - just saying. Heard some good things about Reason but I don't know much about it.

5. 21-04-2015  #15

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I find that the "best software" is a bit of a subjective concept. Recommendations are very often biased by all sorts of factors, and ultimately, most people work best on whatever programs they have the most experience with. In the end, most DAWs do the same, just differently. The best you can do – in my opinion- is try different programs out for yourself before deciding.

My recommendations:

for starters, your mac is boot-camp able and still supports Widows xp and 7 in both, 32 and 64 bit versions (2013 mac book pros only support Windows 8 and onwards). If you are very comfortable with FL studio, no need to stop using it. Just create a partition, install a second system drive, or create a bootable external Windows drive, and make it dual boot.

Logic pro is really great and has a lot of very advanced features. I got a copy of studio one when I bought some Presonus hardware some time ago and I was really very pleasantly surprised as well (like most people that first gave it a try). Both programs have everything you need to get you started: virtual instruments, high quality FX plugins, third party plugin support, etc. Presonus studio one has an awesome feature that not only lets you preview MIDI files in its file browser, but actually lets you preview individual tracks in MIDI files and even assign non GM plugins to the preview, and drag individual tracks of that MIDI file into the sequencer!

Pro Tools, is well, Pro Tools. It is the more expensive one of the bunch, and has a far smaller selection of third party instruments and effects that are available for free. We pretty much use use for tracking and mixing, not really for music production so much.

Cubase, which is now also multi-platform, is also a bit more expensive, but definitely takes the lead in respect to the included content if you buy the full version. You get GBs of audio samples, loops, sampler patches, construction kits, and virtual instruments.

I stopped upgrading Reason (also cross platform) at version 4, but I recently saw version 8 at a friend’s studio, and I have fallen in love with it all over again. I know I will upgrade very soon. It has finally everything producers were asking for since the beginning: audio file editing, recording, external MIDI sequencing, and even though it doesn´t support third party plugs, it has an incredible amount of “rack extensions” now available. These are instruments and FX that can be bought and added to Reason´s rack. It looks and feels absolutely amazing. I had no idea how much Reason had evolved. Price wise, it´s fairly in the middle.

6. 16-06-2015  #16

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Before sharing my thoughts, I'd rather ask the OP for what type of production he has in mind. For many of us, weekend warriors and amateur musicians, something basic and simple is more than enough: I do all my recordings in GarageBand (I play bass guitar and keyboard), and since I moved to a Mac I never went back to Ableton. So the question is: what do you do? Electronica? Death Metal?