1. 30-04-2010  #1

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Pros

Just off the top of my head ive been wondering for soemtime what producers use what, i know people like chase n status and subfocus use cubase with massive as an add on and rudekid produces on FL studio

but anyone know what the like of Timbaland, Dre, ShyFx etc use to put out beats ? i ask cus im a fan of reason and i jus wanna know if its worth continuing to use it or is it time to switch to something else to progress further

2. 30-04-2010  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    AFAIK - Prodigy use Reason. But the tool mostly used for music production is Logic Pro and Cubase. But with others coming into the picture, such as FL studio, and Ableton, that percentage is weaning away. I will say this. What tool you use is actually redundant. If you like a Sequencer, then use it. Don't move cos thats what the "Pros" use. That's silly. No one really cares in the end on what you produce with. Its the end product anyone wants to listen to. I, for one, still produce with Sony Acid Pro. And yes I own one. I love it and it serves my purpose. What Sequencer you use is irrelevant. Its all in how you use it.

3. 06-05-2010  #3

Runner

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah i get what u guys are saying and tbh ableton is my gem for mixtapes and remixs and reason is what me and my co conspiritor use to make beats.

I spotted lil john using a miko todo his stuff in the thing looks immense .......... like a production studio in a box :D

4. 13-05-2010  #4

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dougal & Gammer use Cubase :P

I tried it once but its basically like learning a new language to me, so fruity loops was the way forward for me :P

5. 25-01-2011  #5

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The industry standard is without a doubt Pro Tools. If you're talking Dre, Timbo, Storch, any big time producer, they use PT.

Pro Tools dominates professional audio. Logic is getting more and more popular though and it comes with a lot more in-the-box. But not many 'pros' use in-the-box plugs anyway. Keep in mind that Pro Tools is all about plug-ins and PT comes with relatively little. You'd also need hardware to run PT and a separate HD (minimum 7200rpm) if you want to record audio so Logic would be the better choice to start off with if you're looking at 'barriers to entry'.

My personal preference for the easiest to use is Pro Tools. Not the biggest fan of Logic Pro.
    all we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

6. 25-01-2011  #6

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kambisama View Post

I spotted lil john using a miko todo his stuff in the thing looks immense ...
    miko is just a very expensive PC shaped as a midi controller with ProTools and other sounds preloaded. Also, their heavily advertised 'reproduce any sound using our complex algorithms' is nothing more than a sampler.

My opinion - stick with PC based DAWs. You'll save a lot more money and have a lot more flexibility to upgrade and so on.

7. 25-01-2011  #7

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I tried PRO Tools since I have a MAudio card. I JUST did not find the interface intuitive enough. Maybe its just me. Altho I did find Cubase even more painful!

8. 26-01-2011  #8

Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If you love reason, you'll love logic. Since I made the switch everything has sounded alot better but that may actually be me getting to grips with it far more better than Reason.

Logic is easier to use, everythings laid out as it should be without haivng to go thru 20 screens to add a VST. :S

Couldnt stand cubase but it served its purpose. Convincing me to get a mac lol.
    New Studio sorted out so I'm back in the game...Macbook Pro 15" 2.53Ghz i5 4GB DDR3 1067Mhz, Novation X-station, Focusrite Sapphire, 2 x Yamaha HS80M's & Logic Pro 9.
    Hidden Content
    Theres only one question you have to ask yourself......Can you feel it?

9. 26-01-2011  #9

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I JUST did not find the interface intuitive enough.
    ^I think it's highly likely that what we find most intuitive is the first DAW we learned.

Logic is easier to use, everythings laid out as it should be without haivng to go thru 20 screens to add a VST. :S
    ^ahahaha

The one and only thing I don't like about Logic is the panning mechanism compared to ProTools.

Logic pans a stereo track likes it mono. 1 pan from -64 to +63.

Pro Tools gives you dual panning on stereo tracks. 1 pan at -100 and 1 pan at +100. And I really like to pan every track except reverb to -91 and +91. This lets the reverb shimmer on the very outside of the track.

^If it weren't for that, I figure I'd be using Logic.

The best feature of Logic over Pro Tools is when you're bouncing stems... Pro Tools bounces in god damn real time...*shudders*

10. 31-01-2011  #10

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeatsbyMaidah View Post
    I think it's highly likely that what we find most intuitive is the first DAW we learned.
    So true. I learnt Acid Pro 3 years ago. Haven't moved base ever since. Getting a hang on Ableton now. Lets see how it goes!