Artist

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face [Ableton] Ways to create Dubstep sounds without VSTs

Good day everybuddy!

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about ways to creaty those filthy dubstep sounds in Ableton (preferably) since i do not like the idea of using external plugins because it eats up a lot of CPU (My Laptop is considered to be an active volcano with the sound of an jet engine...) and Ableton already has great features just waiting to be used.

But i must remind you that I am not an Ableton professional. Yet. ;)
    That is why i would like to encourage everyone to post their own ideas as well.

Long story short, I was born in 1989 at 6 o'clock in the morning... just kidding.

Here's a way to create a Dubstep wobble using Operator.

Step 1: Drag Operator to an empty field in Ableton. (Easy, right?)

Step 2: Within Operator, start off by selecting an algorythm. (you might wanna use the one looking like a square ie: "B -> A and D -> C" at first and select another one if you wish later on.)

Step 3: Now, set the COARSE of oscillator A and B to 0.5. This will provide a wider range of WOBBLE since A and B will be playing at different (in this case, lower) rates.

Step 4: Increase the level of oscillator B and C until you can hear a difference. Or all the way to max- which really is 0.00 decibel. (I'm purposely being inaccurate on the amount to keep things unique. Increase D later on.)

Step 5: Change the waveforms of all oscillators. A: Sine B: Sq8 C: SqD D: SqD. Also, you should increase the ATTACK of osc B to about 700ms.

Step 6: Turn on the LFO! and increase the AMOUNT of the LFO. (obviously.. its useless at amount 0) then, set the LFO range from L to SYNC.

Step 7: Withing the dark waveform window in Operator, deselect routings of A, B, C and D and turn on FIL (you must have selected LFO to do this.) and of course turn on the FILTER below LFO.

Finally start pressing some keys on your keyboard and play around with the mentioned knobs to achieve your desired sound.

Here's an example of a clip i made using this WOBBLE (starting at 56 secs..):
    [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/sa-gunu/breath-and-life-dubstep[/SOUNDCLOUD]

So, that's all folks! Please do not forget to give a rep if you find this useful at ALL. And even more importantly, share YOUR methods as well!!!

Serolite out.

2. 27-05-2012  #2

Superstar DJ

Credits
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Plus 1